Content Management Systems / CMS
Content Management Systems (CMS) are website platforms that are designed to allow the user to edit and manage his own website easily. According to the W3Techs report “Usage of content management systems for websites”, CMS systems represent approximately 47% of all websites, and a far larger share of websites for small and medium sized businesses. Further, of more than 300 CMS systems currently available, WordPress is by far the world’s most popular CMS, with a market share of almost 60%! Second place goes to Joomla with a market share of just 7%, followed by Drupal at 5%. No other CMS reaches even a 3% market share.
WordPress CMS Websites
There are many reasons why WordPress websites are so incredibly popular. They’re very easy to use, and because of their extreme popularity, there are a wide variety of companies who offer WordPress plug-ins (software add-ons) that can provide virtually functionality to your site at a low cost, eliminating the need for custom programming in most cases. WordPress software is open source, meaning that it’s free for anyone to use. It’s updated very frequently, which is especially important to maintain the integrity and security of your website.
WordPress is also designed to use themes that control virtually all “appearance” factors of the website, including page layouts, colors, fonts, navigation, animated headers, and other aspects of the site’s appearance. Like WordPress plug-ins, there are many different companies who offer WordPress themes that are extremely capable and feature-rich. We normally recommend one of the most popular and flexible business themes for our customers’ websites, typically including many great options such as:
- Pre-formatted Home page, including many different styles and layout options, each highly customizable for the exact style and design you’re looking for
- Nearly unlimited choices of color schemes, images, and background treatments
- Responsive Design management for the entire website
- Animated banner (slider) styles and graphics – highly customizable and Apple device compatible (non-Flash)
- Portfolio management – many different types of gallery/portfolio available within the theme, each very customizable
- Blog layouts for different styles and formatting, which we can easily add to your site, and/or use for such “article” content as News, Announcements, Press Releases, etc.
- Numerous available pre-formatted page layouts for FAQs, Services, Meet the Team, About Us, Contact Us with online form, and many others, all optional and highly customizable.
Sample High Quality WordPress Theme
Following is a link to details for the “Enfold” theme as an example of the type of WordPress theme that we often recommend. You may find it informative to review the features and capabilities of this particular theme:
We realize that the concept of a “theme” is not an easy one to grasp, but hopefully the above information will help to explain the purpose, uses, and flexibility of a high quality WordPress theme. We might add that one of the major capabilities in this theme is an outstanding implementation of “responsive design”, which provides a mobile friendly site and also one that adapts to virtually any screen size. You should also be aware that there are a wide range of ways to implement “responsive design” for websites, and the Enfold theme incorporates the very best responsive design capabilities we’ve found. See Responsive Design for more information.
Serving Businesses in Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore, San Ramon, Danville, Blackhawk, Alamo, Tri-Valley, Walnut Creek, Concord, Hayward, Pleasant Hill, Antioch, Pittsburg, Fremont, San Leandro, Castro Valley, Oakland, Alameda, Newark, Union City, the East Bay, San Francisco Bay Area, and Nationwide.